Stall-fed goats can ideally fit into the intensive integrated farming system (IIFS). The small animals are the most efficient converters of farm and crop residues into excellent organic manure. Several farmers are successfully running stall-fed goat farms and they have found that such an integrated farming venture is most productive and profitable as well.
Following are the reasons why Stall fed goats are more profitable than open grazed goats
1. Conservation of Energy, which otherwise the animal would waste its energy in hunting after the fodder. For example, a goat that has to travel farther for feed will have a higher maintenance requirement than goat in a feed lot.
2. Better conversion of energy, available from fed and fodder into flesh and milk.
3. Prevention of indiscriminate grazing, thereby offering optimum scope for re-growth of fodder.
4. Prevention of uncontrolled mating.
5. Better collection and utilization of manure.
6. Control and reduction of parasitic re-infestation.
7. Close supervision and easy management.
8. Easy access for record keeping.
9. No danger from wild animals and predators.